Do you have a patient who is interested in quitting tobacco? Here are answers to common questions about the Quitline tobacco cessation program.
Enrolled participants have access to the following program offerings. Participants can select what works for them.
- Coaching by phone or e-chat with additional support via email and text. Participants work with a coach to prepare a quit plan, set a quit date, understand tobacco triggers, manage cravings, and address relapses. Coaches are available 24 hours, 7 days a week.
- Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) supply is based on participants’ insurance status and medical eligibility. FREE nicotine patches, gum, and lozenges or a combination of patch/gum or patch/lozenge are offered to eligible participants.
- 2-week supply for private insurance or Medicare
- 4-week supply for Medicaid or MedQuest
- 8-week supply for uninsured
- Planning and educational materials to help participants map out their road to quitting tobacco.
- Membership in an online community of others who are working to become tobacco free.
The Hawai‘i Tobacco Quitline serves all residents of Hawai‘i who have access to a phone and/or internet. We also offer special programs for priority populations, including:
- Youth - My Life, My Quit is a program for youth 17 years old and younger with trained coaches available by text, e-chat, or phone. Refer a youth patient by submitting the web referral here. For more information, visit MyLifeMyQuit.com or call 1-855-891-9989.
- Young Adults - Young adults age 18-24 have additional options to engage with the Hawai‘i Tobacco Quitline. After enrollment, they can talk to a coach by phone, using the e-chat on the website, or by texting 36072.
- People Living with Behavioral Health Conditions - Some people with behavioral health conditions want more support with quitting. The behavioral health support program provides up to 7 coaching calls with longer term help to stay quit for those who self-identify as living with anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, ADHD, PTSD, bipolar disorder, or substance-use disorders.
- Planning to Become Pregnant – Women planning to become pregnant receive 5 coaching calls with a dedicated female coach.
- Pregnant and Postpartum - The Pregnant and Postpartum Program is a phone coaching program designed to help women quit while pregnant and stay quit after delivering the baby. They can work with the same female coach for all calls and get text messages to support quitting, as well as incentives for each completed call.
Why should I refer my patients to the Hawai‘i Tobacco Quitline instead of another tobacco cessation program?
We have one of the highest success rates in the country, with a 37% responder quit rate for those who use coaching and NRT and a 90% participant satisfaction rate. The Hawai‘i Tobacco Quitline is part of National Jewish Health, a nonprofit academic medical center known for its expertise in prevention and treatment of chronic disease. We're experts in creating permanent behavior change through personalized coaching programs. Our evidence-based programs are proven with clinical outcomes that meet or exceed national standards. We reinvest all profits into scientific and medical research to improve programs and health outcomes.
Our coaches must have a bachelor's or master's degree in social work, psychology, and other health-related areas or equivalent clinical experience. Coaches complete the Tobacco Treatment Specialist (TTS) training certified by the Council on Tobacco Treatment Training Programs. This extensive training has standards for core competencies, training, and credentialing of tobacco treatment providers. Our coaches are among the most experienced in the country, providing remote coaching to participants every day.
The Hawai‘i Tobacco Quitline program is 100% FREE, including NRT and shipping costs. Participants can enroll twice in a 12-month period.
Submit the "Provider Web Referral" directly online for patients without NRT contraindications. Alternatively, you can print, complete, and fax the " Fax Referral" form available here to 1-800-261-6259 for any patient, regardless of NRT contraindications. Both referral methods are confidential and secure. Only HIPAA-covered entities receive patient updates.
No, they can quit on their own using the Hawai‘i Tobacco Quitline website and educational materials with our “Online” program. However, working with a coach and using quit medications increases their chances of quitting. Learn more about program options here.
They can work with coaches over the phone, or receive additional support via email, text, or e-chat—whichever is most convenient and comfortable for them. Coaches work with participants throughout their quit journey, checking in and offering them the support they need to be successful. Participants are also encouraged to reach out to their coach whenever they support. Coaches are available 24 hours, 7 days a week.